Possible bug in gtk: easily demonstrated

I have found what I believe is possibly a bug in gtk.  I found it by
accident, but can easily demonstrate it, and I have attached a
screenshot along with a glade project that demonstrates the problem.

It happens when I have a vertical pane, and in the top section I have a
vbox, with the top object in the vbox being set to expand.  I had
missed setting it not to expand, and that is how I found this problem.
If I set it to not expand, then the problem is not seen.  I suspect that
this problem should not happen either way (look at the screenshot and
you might agree).

I have created an odd case here, but it can be done with other things.
In this case, the top most object is a horizontal separator.  In my
actual project I had other stuff above the separator, but I took out
some of that to really narrow down the problem.  Then I experimented to
see what would bring out the bug (if it is a bug).

The problem can be seen if you set the separator to expand (as it is in
the code and glade file), and then when you run this, resize the
vertical pane, and you will watch the treeview begin to encroach on the
menubar (see the screenshot).  Now reset the separator to not expand,
recompile, run and you will see it behave properly.

I have gtk-2.0.9 and glib-2.0.7.

Mark