Highlight colour in GTK+-2/default theme

Hello.
How do I change the highlight/selection colour in GTK+2.0, using the default theme?

I lack the capacity to understand http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-Resource-Files.html

and my damaged social skills prohibit me from interacting normally with people on IRC to find assistance there.

The solution I use in GTK+-1.2 is to include a ~/.gtkrc.mine in ~/.gtkrc and have the gtkrc.mine file include:

style "default"
{
base[NORMAL] = "#efefef"
bg[SELECTED] = "#bfbfbf"
fg[SELECTED] = "#000000"
}

This method does not seem compatible with GTK+-2/~/.gtkrc-2.0.

Best regards,
Petter Sundlöf