Re: Compiling programs using linux-fb

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:57:04PM +0100, Glenn Sommer wrote:
> I have compiled gtk 2.0.9 with the option --with-gdktarget=linux-fb

Heh, good luck using it. The keyboard in gtkfb 2.0.x is rather broken.
I'd recommend using either 2.1.3 or the gdk-directfb port,
http://www.directfb.org/

> Should I now be able to compile GTK2 programs, without even having X
> installed ?

The short answer is yes.

> I have tryid to compile mozilla 1.2 - but with no luck. I just got some
> errors while compiling.

The long answer to the earlier question is no: Mozilla uses gtk2 but
still assumes it's sitting on top of X. They make several Xlib calls
(especially font stuff), and probably also some gtk-x11 specific calls
as well (like gdk_x11_font_get_xfont). So unless if the application is
solely gtk2 (few are, though most are close), you won't be able to
compile it without changes.

My suggestion is if you want a framebuffer-based web browser try links2,
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~clock/twibright/links/. If you've got
your heart set on using mozilla without X, get an iMac.

> Is there a way I can run GTK2 programs in my console, using framebuffer,
> without using X or something like that installed?

Yes, I do it often, with 2.1.3. After you compile gtkfb itself try
running the testgtk program included with the source to make sure things
work.

> From
> Glenn Sommer

Eric