Gtk/Gdk compile include problem

Hi, I'm trying to get started coding with Gdk but having a problem.
GdkDisplay is supposed to be in the <gdk/gdk.h> include file as far as I
can tell, but it's not in mine. When I try to compile my program it
says:

`GdkDisplay' undeclared (first use this function)

I searched through a number of include files in my /usr/include dir but
couldn't find any header files declaring GdkDisplay, even in
/usr/include/gtk-2.0/gdk or whatever it is. I checked the www.gtk.org
website and under the API reference it just has include of <gdk/gdk.h>
exactly what I have.

Any ideas why this isn't working?  I'm using Gentoo Linux distro.

Thanks
Mark