Drag under effects in GTK2

Hi,

When dragging over a tree or table I would like to have the item under the
cursor highlighted to give the user feedback as to where the item will be
dropped.  I have created the drop target using gtk_drag_dest_set.  I have
tried using the GtkDestDefaults and I have tried calling gtk_drag_highlight directly but
neither gives the desired effect.  the GtkDestDefaults do not give any
visible result and gtk_drag_highlight draws a box around the entire table
or tree but does not show a highlighting of the item under the cursor. Any
suggestions?

Thank you,
Veronika