Continuing installation difficulties

I haven't attempted to install any of the newer versions of GTK, so I haven't
encountered difficulties yet, but I probably will.

I just wanted to get people's opinion on why the continuing configuration
difficulties persist.

My personal opinion is that this was a forced paradigm shift in configuration
that may make good technical sense, but was premature.  The technical merits
of this move do not clearly address the deficiencies of the older procedure.
If they had, I doubt compilation and installation problems would be cropping
up so frequently, because people would grasp the necessary procedure changes
much quicker.

The advent of "configure" dramatically simplified compiling and installing.
That simplicity seems to have disappeared.  Was this really necessary?
Mark Leisher
Computing Research Lab                    The mountain remains unmoved at
New Mexico State University               seeming defeat by the mist.
Box 30001, Dept. 3CRL                       -- Rabindranath Tagore
Las Cruces, NM  88003