Re: Crashing g_string_sprintf when printing invalid floats. gtk+-1.2.9 on Linux

All,

I'm jumping lists with this; my apologies, but it's definitely a gtk bug and so want to followup to gtk-list.

If I try to print a denormalized float with a specific format string, e.g. "%6.2f\n", using g_string_sprintf(), the program crashes with an error about allocating a negative number of bytes.

An example program is below, showing the error when compiled and run under Linux. I believe that the problem is present in both 1.2.9 and 1.2.10.

If I change the format string to "%g\n", I get an answer that is "something e-44", which is why I think that the denormalized is the problem. On Solaris, I get "0.000", which is I believe the correct response.

I think that I can work around this with additional testing, but I have two questions:
1) Is there ongoing bugfix developement on 1.2.x GTK+?
2) Is this bug fixed in Gtk+ 2.0.x?

Eric Monsler

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
int main (int argc, char *argv[])
{
  GString  *pGStr;

  union {
    int   i_val;
    float f_val;
  } the_data;

  gtk_set_locale();
  gtk_init(&argc,&argv);

  the_data.i_val = 1;
  pGStr = g_string_new("");
  g_string_sprintf(pGStr,"%6.2f\n",the_data.f_val);

  printf(pGStr->str);
}

Eric M. Monsler wrote:

All,

I am seeing a crash, although with GLib error message, when printing a floating point number.

The error message is that GLib is unable to allocate -7 bytes. Which seems reasonable enough.

The problem is that the data I am trying to print does not seem to be a valid floating point number. My program needs to be crash-proof in this case, as bad data is going to be encountered. I see that the value that is bad is typically something like "6.0245e-44", which is not valid.

The fact that I can read the value means that ddd/gdb is handling it properly, but not g_string_sprintf.

Any clues? Any suggestions as to how to clamp the floating point value? I have tried to do so with comparisons to MAX_FLT and MIN_FLT, without success.

As an aside, the problem has never been observed when using the Solaris version of the program, just the Linux one.

Thanks in advance,