Re: "drawingarea->window" question.... what is it set to?

Paul

If one really wanted to set this GdkWindow for some drawingarea
I found a way to do it!!!

See this little known gem.... gtk_widget_realize().
(e.g. gtk_widget_realize(myDrawingArea); )

When I ran this function it gave me a warning
about the "parent" not being set.

Do you know what the "parent" of a widget is set to?
If I can set the parent myself and call gtk_widget_realize
then I think I may accomplish my madness.

Sincerely,

Chris

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 08:48:18PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
> >I have noticed that "drawing areas" have an element
> >called "window" that only gets set when drawing areas
> >are _packed_ into a hbox or vbox.
> >
> >Does anyone know what "drawingarea->window" points too??
> >
> >I have printed out addresses of various widgets
> >to see if drawingarea->window points to them but
> >I haven't found it yet.
> >
> >I need to set this address myself for various reasons.
> >It would be nice to know what to set it to before
> >I pack the drawing area and it gets set automatically.
>
> you can't set it. its a GdkWindow and its the one that the drawing
> area uses for rendering. all GtkWidget's have this pointer, and they
> all use it for the same thing, more or less.
>
> --p

_______________________________________

Dr. Christian Seberino
SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego