Re: atk-1.0.1 compile error

Hi :-)
Valdis Kletnieks vt edu writes:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 20:09:09 +0200, Linux User <linuxwald yahoo com>  said:
>
>> checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
>> *** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
>> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
>> for the
>> *** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly
>> installed
>> *** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter
>> case, you
>> *** may want to edit the pkg-config script: /usr/bin/pkg-config
>
> OK.. How about doing what it said and looking in config.log and seeing what the
> error message was, and getting back to us with a cut-and-paste of the relevant
> output?

well,  I start with the first failure in config.log:

configure:7220: result: no
configure:7254: gcc -o conftest -g -O2 -Wall    conftest.c   >&5
configure:7234: glib.h: No such file or directory
configure:7257: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
#line 7232 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

#include <glib.h>
#include <stdio.h>

#ifdef F77_DUMMY_MAIN
#  ifdef __cplusplus
     extern "C"
#  endif
   int F77_DUMMY_MAIN() { return 1; }
#endif
int
main ()
{
 return ((glib_major_version) || (glib_minor_version) || (glib_micro_version));
  ;
  return 0;
}
configure:7294: error:
*** GLIB 2.0.0 or better is required. The latest version of
*** GLIB is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org/.

----------

> Could be /usr/local/lib isn't in your /etc/ld.so.conf, and/or you need

it is the _very_ fist entry:

/usr/local/lib
#/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d
#/usr/local/lib/gtk-xemacs/compface
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/lib/libc5-compat
/lib/libc5-compat
/usr/lib/postfix

should there be only _one_ entry in this file?

> to re-run ldconfig after installing glib.  Or maybe you're doing something

done it a couple of times

> else squirrelly, like having no write permission on the current directory

did the compile even as root also no luck

> so it can't create an a.out.  But without seeing the config.log errors,
> it's hard to tell.

from the above config.log error it seems that  glib.h is _missing_.

Good while the INSTALL for glib-2.0.0 says this:

Simple install procedure
========================

  % gzip -cd glib-2.0.0.tar.gz | tar xvf -  # unpack the sources
  % cd glib-2.0.0                           # change to the toplevel directory
  % ./configure                             # run the `configure' script
  % make                                    # build GLIB

  [ Become root if necessary ]
  % rm -rf /install-prefix/include/glib.h /install-prefix/include/gmodule.h
  % make install                            # install GLIB

Of _course_ I did remove a _glib.h_ file but this was done quite a
while back... don't know if this was a wrong file.

anyway thanks for any pointers :-)

--
LinuxUser aka Josef Oswald linux os chello at
registered-linux-user # 134.818 at http://counter.li.org