atk-1.0.0 compile error

Hi :-)

This is the situation:
I need to install GTK+ of course it depends on some other packages, (this
is on a Debian box upgraded from Progeny)

now I installed all additional stuff in /usr/local/lib
to keep with this tradition glib-2.0.0  was also installed there,
yet ./configure in atk-1.0.0 directory gives me this error:

checking for GLIB - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GLIB was incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the pkg-config script: /usr/bin/pkg-config

How do I tell ./configure that glib-2.0.0 is in fact on the system in
/usr/local/lib ?

any pointers are very much appreciated, as I need to get this
finished...

--
LinuxUser aka Josef Oswald linux os chello at
registered-linux-user # 134.818 at http://counter.li.org