Re: Porting GDK?

From: Roy Wood <roy wood filogix com>

> >you might want to have a look at the DirectFB port
> >(http://www.directfb.org/gtk.xml) Perhaps it is a better starting
> >point for your porting efforts. But then, why would one want to
> >port GTK+ to SDL if there's already a port to DirectFB ...?
>

> SDL runs on just about anything-- MacOS, Windows, BeOS, PlayStation 2,
> QNX, etc.
>

> And yes, the DireectFB port and the Windows port are very helpful.
> Thanks!

The basic problem with this is that gtk+ is a lot more than
an image renderer. You've got the font stuff in pango,
the io channel stuff in glib, and a lot more of which I'm not
aware. To make it work under, e.g., MacOS, you'd need to
do native ports of glib, pango, and whatnot first.
At that point you're better off just doing a
full native port.

OTOH, if it is MacOS you're interested in (at least OS X), I think the
gtk-quartz project is gearing up a bit. You'd probably be better
off contributing your efforts there.

As for the rest (BeOS, PlayStation 2, QNX, etc.), I'm not
personally aware of any projects to port to these. Anyone?

Ron Steinke