Re: suggestions on how add online docs to GUI?

Michael:

On Mon, 2002-04-22 at 11:54, Michael Torrie wrote:
> Not to be negative, but I'm starting to agree with Owen Pennington on
> the preferences thing.  See http://pobox.com/~hp/free-software-ui.html

Good article.

> To summarize, if it needs a preference, then it may be a bad design in
> the first place.  I'm not sure this is a black and white issue,

It's absolutely not.  Obviously, there is a balance to be struck between
forcing all of my favorite features down the users' collective throats,
and letting the users have every feature under the sun.

> but
> these minor things deserve our attention as we strive to create quality
> software (things are generally looking good.  We do have good quality
> software and gtk gives us tools to do this).
>
> In light of this article, I'd say that going with gtkhtml (or if it's a
> gnome application the gnome-help stuff) is better than forcing the user
> to configure a browser.

In this case, I think you are more right than wrong, although I am not
sure gtkhtml is the right solution.  I will leave the preference out,
but I am still more inclined to use a browser.  I think I will:

* Look for mozilla first
* Look for netscape second
* Issue error third

Done and done.  Thanks everyone for the discussion.

Neil