GtkPreview changed behaviour

I noticed a difference in behaviour between the GTK 1.2 and GTK 2.0 GtkPreview widget. Somehow the following code used to work in GTK 1.2 (with gtk_signal_connect iso g_signal_connect, etc.) but in 2.0 the "motion_notify_event" doesn't seem to get handled.

g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(widget), "motion_notify_event",
	         G_CALLBACK(button_motion), factory);

The funtion 'button_motion' is never called. As a workaround I replaced the func by:

g_signal_connect(G_OBJECT(widget), "event",
                 G_CALLBACK(button_motion), factory);

and check for GDK_MOTION_NOTIFY events in my button_motion func, while ignoring other events.

Has anyone else seen this change in behaviour as well? I know the GtkPreview widget is deprecated and I will soon replace it, but I wanted to port my program (the GIMP Imagemap plugin) without putting to much effort in it yet.

Maurits