gdk_window_set_decorations doesn't work

Hello!
I've got a problem with gdk_window_set_decorations.
The problem is:
I'm calling it like this:
  GdkWindow *wnd = gtk_widget_get_toplevel(my_widget)->window;
  gdk_window_set_decorations(wnd, 0);

However, it doesn't work - the decorations don't change. It only works if
I set the decorations before the window is shown, but this is unusable for
me.
Hiding the window, setting the decorations and then showing it again
doesn't either.

Does anybody have any ideas how to make it work?

Thanks,
Christian

[please cc me on replies, I'm not subscribed to this list]

                                                 -- Benjamin Franklin