GObject life cycle

Could someone explain or point me to texts that describe the correct way to
implement object destruction with GObjects?

As far as I understand, when refcount reaches zero, the dispose and finalize
functions for that object will be called if they exist.

So what I need to know is:
- what needs to go in the dispose function?
- does the parent's dispose need to be called?
- what needs to go in the finalize function?
- does the parent's finalize need to be called?
- is that all there is to it?

I'm not interested in GtkObject, just pure GObject subclasses.

cheers