Re: GtkNotebook problems in Galeon (slow tab switching, etc.)

Paul Davis <pbd Op Net> writes:
> its not really quite the same thing, but i've recently been trying to
> figure out a somewhat similar problem. i have a set of regular buttons
> packed into an hbox, then into a vbox with an entry widget, and then
> positioned in a fixed. the initial display of the buttons is "missing"
> the bottom part of the buttons' own frames. as soon as i mouse over
> any of the buttons, it will "fill" itself in. there is no overlap in
> the packing, and i am totally stumped how any widget could fail to
> fully draw itself. it always seemed to me like an all-or-nothing
> thing.

GtkNotebook is utterly brain-damaged; the implementation has all these
separate X windows and hacks to try to redraw only part of the widget,
i.e. basically it is totally overoptimized, since drawing is not
expensive.

GtkRange had the same problem, I rewrote that to not use any child
windows and not have any redraw optimizations, with excellent results.
But, no one has gotten to GtkNotebook yet. ;-)

Suggest filing bug reports on each specific glitch, especially if we
can get a test case...

Havoc