New widget; advice?

I'd like to make a checkbutton with one label but two buttons and two
states, so that state1 is toggled (and the leftmost checkbox
indicates its state) when the left button is used, and state2 is
toggled (and the other checkbox shows that) when the middle or right
button is used.

I'm currently using a subclass of the checkbutton for this, and it
does what I want but doesn't give acceptable feedback to the user,
since a check means that either state1 is true or state2 is true.

Has anyone ever built this widget?  Or would anyone like to give me
advice on how to proceed?  Or tell me I'm crazy and suggest another
approach?  A combo box would of course give complete feedback, but
that's overkill for, say, 30 labels with the same 3 possible states.

Debby