Re: Serious bug in gdk_draw_text() ?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 07:47:10PM -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:

> Stephen Ma <stephenma telus net> writes:
>
> > When an XFree86 3.3.6 server is used with certain fonts from
> > XFree86 4.1, the version clash causes many GTK programs to display
> > [little boxes where letters and digits should appear].  Many
> > applications are affected, including Gnumeric 0.69, Pan 0.10,
> > XChat 1.8.2, etc.
>
> Well, don't do that then :-)

Right.  Isn't hindsight wonderful?  :)

Unfortunately, this advice doesn't help people who accidentally,
unknowingly create version clashes (which is what happened to me).
Not everyone has the energy to dig into the problem, as I did; when
lots of Gnome applications suddenly stop working, most people would
simply dump Gnome.

There is a chance that XFree86 4.1's preference for iso8859-1 fonts
could be back-ported to 3.x.

Stephen Ma  <stephenma telus net>