Re: gtk+-1.2.xxx fatal error in gtktext.c

Hi Ray,

>Hi Vladimir,
>
>On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Vladimir Tsichevski wrote:
>> Hi GTK developers,
>
>	Sorry, I'm not a GTK developer, though.  :)
>
>> I found an error in gtktext.c module which results in application
>> crash (an attempt to address a zero pointer). The problem arises only
>> when a specific conditions are met. That's why nobody bumped into this
>> bug before.
>
>	However, I do know that gtktext is deprecated and is no longer
>supported so I think it is unlikely that anyone will fix it.  As someone
>who used gtktext before, it is good but there are some bugs that keep
>cropping up.

All I ask for is to apply the patch I supplied. I spent a few days
chasing the bug (if I was GTK developer it might take less time).

>	A few months back, I installed current development version of GTK
>v1.3.x and have removed gtktext from my code and replaced it with gtkview
>and other text-related widgets.  v1.3.x is still in development, so I
>don't suggest that you use it unless you think you're better off using it.

That is the first reason why I should not hurry to use it. The second
is that I use Scheme programming language with GTK-1.2 bindings of my
own devise. To be able to use GTK-1.3 I have to create new bindings
first (and that is a lot of work since the differences between the two
versions are tremendous).

>	But because guitext.c is being phased out, this might be one
>reason why the bug you found in gtktext.c won't be fixed.

I still hope it will :-|

>Ray

Regards,

Vladimir V. Tsichevski
senior expert
Any opinions or recommendations herein are those of
the author and not of his computer.