more on scrolled window sizing ... fixes + bugs?

OK, I finally looked at this again, and started staring at the source,
as well as building a tiny C test app. Then I noticed, at the top
of gtkscrolledwindow.c:

 * a scrolled window needs (for imlementing all three policy types) to
 * request its width and height based on two different rationales.
 * 1)   the user wants the scrolled window to just fit into the space
 *      that it gets allocated for a specifc dimension.
 * 1.1) this does not apply if the user specified a concrete value
 *      value for that specific dimension by either specifying usize for the
 *      scrolled window or for its child.
 * 2)   the user wants the scrolled window to take as much space up as
 *      is desired by the child for a specifc dimension (i.e. POLICY_NEVER).

       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Arg! I indeed set the policy to NEVER, but thats not at all what my
intended meaning is. Its set to NEVER because I don't want scrollbars
to be appear: the adjustments and the scrollbars for the scrolled
window are shared with other widgets (e.g. an adjacent scrolled
window). I did not mean for the child to be given as much space as it
desired.

Is there some other way to indicate "i don't want scrollbars, but i do
want to limit the size of the child"? Or should I just go ahead and
file with bugzilla, since this apparent overloading of semantics
strikes me as a serious design flaw? Or is it all fixed in GTK+
1.3/2.0 ?

Alternatively, should I just be using a viewport (or two) and creating
my own scrollbars to move the visible part of the child around?

--p