Re: Scrolling GTK list

>1. How can I  set  title/label  to combo boxes. In the sense  add
>"CITY" title to a city combo list

	GtkWidget *label = new gtk_label_new ("CITY");
	GtkVBox   *vbox = new gtk_vbox_new();

	gtk_box_pack_start (label, FALSE, FALSE, 0);
	gtk_box_pack_start (combo, FALSE, FALSE, 0);

that's a bare minimum, you might want to take more precise control of
the sizing and spacing.

>2.  How can I force  a combo  list to occupy the  MINIMUM  required
>horizontal  space  in  hbox widget.

use gtk_widget_set_usize() on the entry widget inside the combo. its
ugly, and it should be easier, but it works. you might want to use
this:

/*
    Copyright (C) 1998-99 Paul Barton-Davis

    (at your option) any later version.

    Foundation, Inc., 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

    $Id: gtkutils.c,v 1.1 1999/11/29 18:38:11 pbd Exp $
*/

#include <gtk/gtk.h>

void
gtk_widget_set_usize_to_display_given_text (GtkWidget *w,
					    const gchar *text,
					    gint hpadding,
					    gint vpadding)

{
	guint width;
	guint lbearing;
	guint rbearing;
	guint ascent;
	guint descent;

	gdk_string_extents (w->style->font,
			    text,
			    &lbearing,
			    &rbearing,
			    &width,
			    &ascent,
			    &descent);

	gtk_widget_set_usize (w, width+hpadding, ascent+descent+vpadding);
}