Re: CList DnD/selection "format" broken?

Paul Davis <pbd op net> writes:

> >> is this another one of those "oh yeah, CList is totally broken, use
> >> 1.3/2.0" type errors
> >
> >Got it in one. (Well, at least for something complicated like
> >trying to drag and drop from a clist to elsewhere. You can
> >look at the gmc code if you want to see how someone managed
> >to get this working with sufficient hacks.)
>
> pardon my french, but f*ck. i can't possibly move to 1.3/2.0 at this
> time, and i'm also not sure how to get by with clist-drag-n-drop which
> i'd rather do without hacks. oh well. while i'm here though, why does
> gtk_selection_request() insist

A button to move the selected item from the clist to wherever you want
to move it to? In general, drag and drop should _only_ be a shortcut,
since it won't be accessible to all users, and is also hard to figure
out that it is present even for users that are fully mouse-enabled.

>    g_return_val_if_fail ((data.format >= 8) && (data.format % 8 == 0), FALSE);
>
> ? the restriction makes no sense to me.

X requires the format to be 8, 16, or 32. Those are the only day
types that X nows how to byte-swap. The above was my attempt to
be clever and express that by saying must have a whole number
of bytes. Since it allows formats of 24, 40, etc, I was clearly
being too clever.

Chances are, since the code in clist that passes the wrong value for
the value is clearly untested, if you fixed this problem (by passing
in a correct value for the format), you'd just run into other
problems.

Regard,s
                                        Owne