gdk caveats with 32-bit emulation under 64-bit kernel/processor

Hi,

 Disclaimer: I know nearly nothing about gtk, X, etc. and have a problem
that is deeper than I can imagine getting anytime soon.

 I have a working gtk package (RH 7.1's version)which I can run on a
32-bit ppc platform, but when I try to run gnomeish apps using the
same packages on a 64-bit ppc with support for 32-bit apps enabled in
the kernel, I get Gdk-ERROR: Bad Access from any/all apps using gdk
routines.

I seem to have isolated the problem down to apps which use any
gdk-pixbuf/icon related routines, but I realize the problem may lay down
in X somewhere.

I'm running XFree86-4.0.3, gtk+-1.2.8.

Any ideas on problem areas w.r.t. gdk pixbuf manipulation in a 32-bit
emulation (or 64-bit) environment?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

--