What do I need?

I want to try some gtk programming. I installed the gtk+ and gtk+-devel packages from the RedHat 7.2 distro. When I try to compile the simple example in the tutorial, I get errors that the widgets cannot be found. Do I need to uninstall the gtk+ packages from RedHat and install the tarball, or is there something else that I need to install that will get me the widgets? Ian.
Ian Truelsen
Masters program in Philosophy
University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
BA (Wilfrid Laurier University)
Email: ian ihtruelsen 2y net
Current favourite quote:
"No great civilisation likes forests."
K.F. O'Connor
Lincoln College, Christchurch, New Zealand