GtkText/Editable and scrolling with large amounts of text

Hi,
    I have a read-only GtkText widget that is required to scroll large
amounts (ie up to 70,000 lines) at a time, based on the actions of a
list widget. Problem is, scrolling through, say, 60,000 lines, can take
minutes (with the text widget hidden. Without the text widget hidden,
the scroll would take hours to complete).
    My question - is it possible to speed the scrolling up without
hacking the gtk source?

Regards,
    Richard