newbie HTTP request problem

I have recently begun a programming project using GTK. The purpose of this program is pretty simple, at least in would be for my in Win32. I want to have a program create an HTTP request to a remote server, the server returns an IP address which is then returned into the GUI and after useraction is formatted into a config file for the vtun program. I am not particulary familiar with the C++ libraries available on lniux systems, but is there something that I could use to make that HTTP request and return the data that is given by the remote server? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks!