fullscreen window-manager troubles

Hello,

I'm having weird troubles with trying to run my application full-screen.
To switch to full-screen, I thought I'd just use
gtk_widget_set_usize(window, gdk_screen_width(), gdk_screen_height() );
and gtk_widget_set_uposition(window, 0, 0);. This works in, for example,
blackbox, but in sawfish, I still see the title bar of the application's
window at the top and also the border of the GtkWindow at the left. It
seems like all these window managers are behaving differently.

Secondly, connected to this, when trying to go back to non-fullscreen, I
use (before going fullscreen) gdk_window_get_size(window->window, &w,
&h); and gdk_window_get_origin(window->window, &x, &y); to save the old
values and then gtk_widget_set_{usize|uposition}() again to go back to
the old state, but here too, the window moves a bit to the right and
down, as if the first functions (gdk_window_get_{size|origin}() )
retrieve the position of the window without decorations while
gtk_widget_set_{usize|uposition}() place the window including
decorations.

I tried using gdk_window_set_decoration(window->window, 0), but that
doesn't seem to help either since sawfish cannot seem to remove these
window decorations while the widget is already being shown...
gdk_window_move() seems to have the same "problem" as
gtk_widget_set_uposition().

Does gtk, or gnome or X, have a better way to switch to fullscreen mode
and/or to get/set the position of a window?

Thank for any advice,

Ronald

--
-   .-.
-   /V\    | Ronald Bultje <rbultje ronald bitfreak net>