Tooltip signals?

The GtkTooltips object doesn't seem to announce tooltip popup/popdown with
any unique signal(s).  I'd like the option in my applications to display
more detailed text in a separate message window if user has asked for
detailed help.  I can always just catch enter/leave events or catch the map
(or is it realize?) signal that appears when the tooltip window is
displayed.  That's a bit crude, and requires me (currently) to access the
tooltip->window field, something that's not exposed through PyGtk (should
there be an access method for this?).

What do other people do for this?  Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro (skip pobox com - http://www.mojam.com/)
It's only a 25% solution to our problems.  Of course, we only want to solve