Default fonts

I've been playing with my font path and came to the conclusion that the
default font specification that GTK (1.2.10) uses is not good enough. So
I'd like to set up more specific font specifications in the system-wide
gtkrc files.

I need settings for several locales:

  - C and any ISO 8859-1 locale: Lucida
  - any ISO 8859-2 locale:       Arial
  - other locales:               specifications which came with GTK are
				 fine for now

Setting Arial in /usr/local/gtk/gtkrc.iso-8859-2 works fine, provided that
/usr/local/etc/gtkrc doesn't exist.

Setting Lucida in /usr/local/etc/gtkrc also works fine if I'm in C or
Latin 1 locale.

The problem comes from the fact that /usr/local/etc/gtkrc is read after
/usr/local/gtk/gtkrc.iso-8859-2. If both files exist, the definition
from /usr/local/etc/gtkrc wins, even if I'm not in Latin 1 locale. That
gives me Lucida default font in Latin 2 locales. I have the font, but not
bitmaps, so it looks really ugly on the screen and I really want something
else.

How am I supposed to do this?

I have a somewhat related problem with ~/.gtkrc. I change themes once in
two years, so I was perfectly happy with my ~/.gtkrc being a symlink to
the system-wide gtkrc provided by the theme (gtkstep). With that setting I
didn't need to change anything in ~/.gtkrc after I installed the new theme
version.

However, in the environment with automounted home directories and
different operating systems my ~/.gtkrc is bound to be a dangling symlink
on some of them. Usually because some systems will have the theme
gtkrc installed in /usr/local/share/themes and others in /usr/share/themes
or wherever.

What's the official way to hande this situation?

--
 .-.   .-.    Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.