Gtk+ bringing X down?

I wrote this program called "xfsamba", which basically does a lot of
forking around "smbclient" (from the samba suite). It uses a Ctree
widget to create a graphical view and also has a text window where much
of the text output from "smbclient" is displayed. This implies,
theoretically of course, that the contents of the text widget will keep
growing to infinity. Now I got a bug report (32Mb ram Debian GNU/Linux
2.2), saying that "xfsamba crashes/hangs (and takes X11 with it) when I
click any button while it retrieves data from an win98 box".

Could this be the GtkText widget overflowing system memory? Is there any
limit for the amount of text in a GtkText widget (or a GtkTextBuffer in
Gtk+1.3)? If so, is there any recomended way for purging the text widget
of the oldest data?

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

--

saludos,

Edscott