GtkCombo and getting the selected item index

Is there a way to obtain the index (position) of the selected
item within a GtkCombo box? For instance, I have a combo box
defined with the items 'red', 'white', and 'blue'. The user
selected 'white', fires the 'changed' signal, and my callback
is executed. Within the callback, I want to be able to determine
that the user selected the 2nd item in the list or index '1'.

I know I can get the text of the selection from the GtkEntry
portion of the combo box, but I really just want the position
within the combo box's list that the user clicked on.

Is this possible?

Thanks!
Jay Baker
Cisco Systems