Re: vertical scale display; button prelighting

Paul Davis <pbd Op Net> writes:

> >> Maybe we disagree with the notion of indicating the mouse cursor
> >> location by changing the appearance of a widget. For me, that
> >> disagreement is independent of however the appearance is changed.
> >>

> >OK, so this is just "I disagree with the theme."
>
> No, its much more than that. I don't think that the toolkit should
> ever change the state of a widget to PRELIGHT. we already have the
> enter_notify and leave_notify events if the widget wants to respond to
> cursor entry and exit. The toolkit should keep its nose out of it. I
> don't care what the theme does with the state - I don't want the state
> to exist at all!

Consider the case of a child widget of a button, and I think you'll
see that toolkit involvement in the propagation of the PRELIGHT state
is necessary.

The idea of a user setting (a programatic setting is indeed
non-sensical), would be that the button widget would obey the setting
and not put itself into the PRELIGHT state. If you read gtkbutton.c,
you'll see that GtkButton is putting itself into the prelight state in
response to enter/exit.

Of course, with GTK+-2.0, setting the color of the prelight to the
same as the normal color works quite nicely for disabling prelight.

Its also quite conceivable to me that someone would want the subtle
changing coloration of toolbar icons effect, but not the larger
changes of background color, so I'm not sure that a global toggle of
prelight is the right way to configure this.

Regards,
                                        Owen

P.S. - the prelight state indicates not the "mouse cursor location",
       but that the location where the mouse is active and responsive
       to clicking.