Re: making tooltips immediately appear?

>I've used tooltips in a slightly non-standard way in my program.  The
>user has a number of items (buttons) to organize within a gtk_layout
>widget.  During the course of their "organizing", they can add a label
>to the item, which I implement using gtk_tooltips.  In general, it
>works great.  But when the user initially defines a label, the tooltip
>doesn't appear until a subsequent mouse-over (even if the mouse is
>currently over the given item when the tooltip is defined).  I tried
>explicitly calling a variety of draw() functions, but never found a
>way to get the tooltip to appear immediately.  Does anyone know how
>this might be accomplished?

no, but i'm fairly certain that tooltips are not part of the
answer. they work by connecting to the enter_notify and leave_notify
events of a widget. ergo, if the cursor is within the widget, the
tooltip will not appear.

otoh, i suppose you could fake an enter_notify event, but this just
seems like its asking for trouble.

--p