making tooltips immediately appear?

I've used tooltips in a slightly non-standard way in my program.  The
user has a number of items (buttons) to organize within a gtk_layout
widget.  During the course of their "organizing", they can add a label
to the item, which I implement using gtk_tooltips.  In general, it
works great.  But when the user initially defines a label, the tooltip
doesn't appear until a subsequent mouse-over (even if the mouse is
currently over the given item when the tooltip is defined).  I tried
explicitly calling a variety of draw() functions, but never found a
way to get the tooltip to appear immediately.  Does anyone know how
this might be accomplished?

Gary Scavone
Center for Computer Research in Music & Acoustics
Stanford University
gary ccrma stanford edu
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/~gary/