A FAQ? What do I need to build GTK+ these days?

Where can I find a complete list of the packages required to build
GTK+?  I've been going through an iterative process starting with gtk+
and glib, then pulling in pkgconfig, then pango, and currently I'm
staring at:
  Unknown package 'atk'
  configure: error:
  *** Accessibility Tookit not found. Accessibility Toolkit is required
  *** to build GTK+.

However, I can't find anything on www.gtk.org to indicate where I might
find such a beast and there's no clear indication that this is anything
more than the next in an ongoing series of dependencies.

I've built GTK+ before, albeit on a Slackware rather than SuSE system as
I'm doing now.  I don't remember running into quite so many
dependencies.  Is there an active attempt to depend on as many external
packages as possible?  Is there someplace that contains a complete list
of the things that must be gathered up before attempting to build GTK+
these days?

			Rick