Re: gdk_window_set_background?

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 08:50:25PM -0500, Vicki Stanfield wrote:

> What is the function gdk_window_set_background used for? I have used
> gtk_windows, but I don't understand how a gdk_window fits into the
> scheme. Can someone explain it to me (as if I were a six year old)?
>
> Have a good day!
> - -Vicki

A GdkWindow is just a device for clipping drawing and capturing events. Most widgets create their own GdkWindows to work in, and every "application window" contains lots of GdkWindows. A GtkWindow is a widget used for a top level "application window", it creates a GdkWindow as well as handling app window stuff like whether the app window is resizable, which widget has focus, accelerator keys etc.

gdk_window_set_background sets the background pixel on a GdkWindow..

You can test if a widget has it's own GdkWindow, or if it uses the one the parent widget has by using GTK_WIDGET_NO_WINDOW (widget)
You can get the GdkWindow used by a widget by accessing widget->window (the widget has to be realized)