How to have multi-level menus?

Hi folks,

Let's say I want a menu to pop up at current mouse x/y cordinates when
I press mouse button 3.  I see an easy way to do it with the older
gtk_menu() functions and whatnot.  But they seem to fall sort on a
couple of areas:

1.  Separators?  Everything is a menu item?
2.  How to make sub menus?  Is there an easy / elegant way to nest?

I've also looked at the ItemFactory method, but don't see any way to
just use it to pop up a menu on screen.  The ItemFactory model seems for
use only with main window pulldown menus, which is not what I'm looking
for.  I just want the entire menu, with all toplevel options, to appear
when I click.

If anyone has some ideas / pointers / suggestions, I'd love to hear.

Thanks,

DT
--
Technical Director - Virginia Center for Computer Music
http://www.virginia.edu/music/vccm.html