Re: Motif to GTK+

>> Expect to have to do a lot of rewriting for Motif->GTK :-( On the

Bill Schottstaedt, who ported about 10K lines of Motif in his snd
editor to GTK+ in one weekend, would differ with you about the amount
of work. He said that he found more or less exact matches for
everything in Motif, except that Motif has a nice multi-pane widget
that cannot be simulated in GTK.

>So, you mean there's absolutely no way to attache a widget relative to
>other ones??

GTK doesn't use the same metaphors as Motif. You need to think about
the boxes+glue model that its inherited from TeX.

>Ufff, these are very bad news for me... I was trying to rewrite a Motif
>program not touching the head files...

If you use a metaphor from one toolkit thats not present in another,
you can't expect the rewrite to be simple.

>If a use the table approximation I will have to pass the position in the
>table instead of the widgets it has around... something like this:

You could look up each widget in each cell of the table, and compare
them with what was passed in. But as I said, you're fighting the
metaphor used by GTK for widget packing. GTK just doesn't do things
like "put this widget below this widget and above this
widget". Instead, it is more rooted in concepts like "arrange these
widgets in a horizontal line, then arrange that line and three more
just like into a vertical stack".

--p