Re: gtk+-1.2.10

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Ben Gertzfield wrote:

>     Owen> Please just fix your application. In the quick look I took
>     Owen> GTK+ frontend is only 7000 lines or so, with a strong
>     Owen> separation between that and the core. Splitting that apart
>     Owen> into a separate process is simply not that hard.
>
> Well, it's not that hard for a new application, but it's really hard
> for something historical like Gnomehack, (based on Nethack) which
> needs the ability to open files at any point during the game (if you
> die, it may randomly decide to save your file as a "bones" file for
> other players to come across) in the save directory.

Hi Ben.

Just to point out that the solution that I'm discussing with the NetHack
dev-team is to develop plug-in windowing interfaces which would have other
advantages rather than a setgid helper (although this also would be possible).

--
Ali Harlow                              Email: ali avrc city ac uk
Research programmer                     Tel:   (020) 7477 8000 X 4348