Re: Clist clear bug?

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001, bubakka wrote:
> I continually call this function and after 9-10 secs I get
> warning messages like this:
> Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to
> allocate widget with width 32990 and height 1
>
> (the 32990 is growing by the calls)
>
> Why??? There is nothing at all just clearing!!! Is this a
> bug? Or did I something wrong?

Hi,

	Hmmm, well, I do remember getting a similar error message when I
ran my program and it was using a lot more memory than it had available on
the machine I was on.  True, it may be just clearing, but in my case, it
was my C code (not the GTK C code) that was malloc'ing too much memory.
At first, I thought it was the GTK code, but instead, my C code was using
up most of the memory and at some point, the GTk code was allocating some
small amount like 30,000 bytes, and that's when it exited with this error.

	I may be wrong, but why don't you look at the memory usage of your
program (using top) as it is running and see is it quickly using up your
machine's memory.  There is a "problem" with certain GTK/GLib functions in
that using them actually malloc's memory without you knowing it (unless
you read the documentation :) ).  Of course, it's convenient not to do a
malloc and then a GTK/GLib call, but it also means you can easily have
lots of memory leaks without knowing it!

	Good luck!

Ray