installing 1.2.8

Has anyone experienced the problem I am having below, below is an old email
I sent to the gtk-list group and I think the solution was to set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable but this should be set correctly now and I still
experience almost the exact same problem below, any ideas?  Don't forget
this is for s sparc sun so it may be different on that machine.