Re: installing 1.2.8

I'm compiling Gnome also on a Solaris 2.6 machine without root privilege, and ran into the same problem. I'll check my notes at work to be sure, but I think you need to
setenv GTK_CONFIG /home/matt/mppcm/rest-of-path-to-/gtk-config
and similarly with GLIB_CONFIG

Peter

Matt Eisemann wrote:

Has anyone experienced the problem I am having below, below is an old email I sent to the gtk-list group and I think the solution was to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable but this should be set correctly now and I still experience almost the exact same problem below, any ideas? Don't forget this is for s sparc sun so it may be different on that machine.

Trying unsuccessfully to install GTK 1.2.8.  It looks like I succeffully
installed GLIB successfully and I downloaded 1.2.8 for both versions of
GTK+ and GLIB. I am installing this on a Sun Solaris 2.6 machine, as far as I know and it seems the GLIB works succefully. When I did the
   ./configure --prefix=/home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8

both the make and the make install seemed to work but I did not check
everything that was printed out.

For GTK+, I also did a similar command

      ./configure --prefix=/home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/gtk+-1.2.8

and it seemed to work fine for a while till it got to the end where it
said
" checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.8 ... ./configure:
/home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8: cannot execute

./configure: /home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8: cannot execute
./configure: /home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8: cannot execute
./configure: /home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8: cannot execute
./configure: /home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8: cannot execute
no
*** Could not run GLIB test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link.  See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured.  This usually means GLIB was incorrectly
installed
*** or that you have moved GLIB since it was installed.  In the latter
case, you
*** may want to edit the glib-config script:
 /home/matt/mppcm/ssep/GTK/glib/glib-1.2.8
configure: error:
*** GLIB 1.2.8 or better is required.  The latest version of GLIB
*** is always available from ftp://ftp.gtk.org

any ideas what happened?  There did not seem to be any errors when I
installed GLIB? Since I do not have root privledge I have to use my

local

directory and not
the /usr/local.

Thanks for your help.