Re: GTK+-1.2.9 Released

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, Dave Benson wrote:
> why not just insist that the users are in a special group (``slashem'' maybe)
> and make the directories writable by that group?  if they cannot be
> bothered to do that, suggest the directory by world-writable, and never
> store executables in there, and tell them not to too ;)

You mean run Slash'EM non-setgid? Yes, this always an option for our users when
installing Slash'EM, but many prefer to prevent abuse by going for the setgid
option. You raise an important point about executables however. Obviously,
these should never be writable by group games (or placed in a directory
writable by group games etc.) or you really would have a security problem.

--
Ali Harlow                              Email: ali avrc city ac uk
Research programmer                     Tel:   (020) 7477 8000 X 4348