Re: GTK+-1.2.9 Released

 [ ... somewhat tongue-in-cheek complex schemes for set[ug]id checks .. ]

one word, or rather, one man page: sudo(1)

this is my preferred method of running my root-requiring audio
apps. yes, it doesn't contain the author-sanctions-this approach, but
given that i specifically recommend this model to my users, there is a
remnant of that left in place.

in the future, i plan to use a capability-equivalent of sudo to
achieve a similar effect. however, the program's executable image will
still need the RESOURCE capability set in its inode, which makes it
slightly less secure than the absence of setuid made possible via
sudo.

--p