Re: very basic question about glib

Hello!

> My question: how do i remove COMPLETELY an old version of glib (or anything
> else for that matter) so that I know I don't have two or more versions of a
> library on my system.

If you installed it from tarball (.tar.gz), you should type "make clean" to clear the package from installed directory, or "make distclean" to delete everything except the source (all .o files, executables, ...). Afterwards you can make them again by "make" and install them by "make install".

If you installed the package from rpm (eg. rpm -Uvh rpm-name.rpm), you may query it for its name with "rpm -q rpm_name" (eg. rpm -q gtk+) and delete it with "rpm -e rpm_name (eg. rpm -e gtk+). That does the trick thoroughly. ;)

> If I knew where to wipe out libraries and where they are being pointed to,
> etc, I would feel much more comfortable.  I'm quite capable in DOS and of
> course Windows, so new venture is exciting but frustrating.

Use /sbin/ldconfig.

Bye!

Andrej