Re: Installing gtk without root access

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 11:43:07PM +1000, Raymond Wan wrote:
> 	A few weeks ago, someone posted a message about having problems
> installing GTK without root access.  I'm having problems with it now, but
> before I go digging through the scripts, can someone confirm to me whether
> or not it is possible to install GTK without root access?  Unfortunately,
> our system administrator is overloaded with work (as most sysadmins are :)
> ), so I would like to try to install it myself.

Sure, no problem.

> 	The person who posted that message got a lot of helpful advice but
> no one said that it was not possible to install GTK without root
> permission, so can I presume it is possible?

Yes.

export MY_GTK=/home/myhome/gtk
export PATH=$MY_GTK/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$MY_GTK/lib

Now configure install GTK the usual way, but use the flag
--prefix=$MY_GTK for all configure scripts.

Erik

Phone: +31-15-2783635  Fax: +31-15-2781843  Email: J A K Mouw its tudelft nl