Dual Screen

Hi,
Is there any way to know whereis user has 2 monitors?
The positioning, etc. all messed up because it returns as
3200x1200 if I use 2 monitors with 1600x1200. Or
2624x1200 if I use 1600x1200 and 1024x786. There is bunch of other things
that not quite working because GTK sees it as 1 monitor...
Thanks a lot,
John.

NOTICE:  This communication may contain confidential or other privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient, or believe that you have received this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate, or otherwise use the information.  Also, please indicate to the sender that you have received this email in error, and delete the copy you received.  Any communication that does not relate to official Columbia business is that of the sender and is neither given nor endorsed by Columbia.  Thank you.