waiting for popup dialogs

how can I wait for a popupdialog to terminate before going on with the
code written after the function which creates the dialogs?
I cannot put up a destroy-handler on the popup dialog and i have to use
gtk mechanism for portability reasons.

	//this function creates a dialog which ask if you want
	//to save the old archive before loading the new one.
	//it has a OK and a CANCEL buttons. After clicking any of these
	//buttons the dlg gets detroyed and the loading process should go

	//this is the code for loading an archive and should execute only
	//after the requestForSave dialog was destroyed.

any suggestions?
M. Lettere.