Gdk_Region (Gtkmm question)

I asked this question first on the gtkmm list, but have gotten zero responses so far, and it reccomends that, for a faster response, I might want to pose my question on this list. So...

I'm having problems with the Gdk_Region wrapper. I'm trying to use it to make a hexagonal area to clip with, but it doesn't seem that the wrapper does anything it all. It exists, but the only way to create a Gdk_Region is to pass it another Gdk_Region...so I can't really create one of my own at all. The headers say "this needs work", so has it been implemented at all yet? Searching through the archives I found a similar complaint, and an attached implementation (which i havn't been able to get to compile), but is there a standard fix?

If not, I figure I could simply use a rectangular clip and draw in the extra stuff around the hex (i'm making a hexboard for a turn based strategy game) but that would /really/ suck.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I remain."
-DUNE

"And did they get you to trade your heroes for ghosts?  Hot ashes for trees?
Hot air for cool breeze?  Cold comfort for change?
And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead-role in a cage?"
-Pink Floyd

charles petersen