HandleBoxes and modal windows

Hi,

Under X trying to dettach handle boxes from a window that is
modal, I get my X instalation freezed completly and I can not
do anything more with X until I kill my program from a text
session.
Is it intentional that there is impossible to dettach handle
boxes from windows which are modal under X ? Or did I do
something wrong ?
A window is set to be modal with gtk_window_set_modal().
I use RH 7.1 with XFree 4.0.3, S3V server for S3 ViRGE card
(3.3.6-35) and GTK 1.2.10.
Under Windows 98 with GTK built 2000/12/26 there is no such
problem. Everything seems to work OK.

Sorry if this is YALQ ( Yet Another Lamer's Question ).

--

  Marek Paliwoda
paliwoda inetia pl